Monday 3 September 2012

Why I May Never Get Married -Actress Bimbo Akintola

 


Your fans have missed you. Where were you before Hoodrush?I've been around. My soap, Circle of three, was on TV for two years. I produced, I directed and acted. It was on for two years. And it went off the air about a year-and-a-half ago. And after that, you have Amazons. Amazons is on TV right now.

The problem is, it's not like I don't like acting or I don't enjoy acting. There is nothing else I want to do with my life.
I love acting. That's my passion. But I think at this point, it will be ridiculous for me to be doing useless films. That's how I see it. If I can't get a script that speaks to me, I won't work. I will find other things to sort out my bills and take care of me, and wait until I can do something sensible.

It's only normal that when you're dating someone, then you should have marriage in view…Opon ti sun (times have changed). Let me tell you the truth. Times have changed. It was back then that they say 'oh! At forty-something, you're not married. You are no longer on the shelf.' There is no such thing again. People are getting married at forty-eight. My friend's aunty got married; she's fifty-six, first marriage. In the village they did big wedding. I couldn't understand it. But you know what, it's happening every day, everywhere. It's no more a thing of you are old you can't get married. It's when you find the right man. And I'm glad parents are beginning to realise that they shouldn't put so much pressure on their children. That was why I did Circle of three, to talk about that pressure.

Don't put pressure on your child. That's why marriages are collapsing everywhere. By the time everybody has frustrated the girl in their house, she jumps into the first thing to come along, and two months later, she's back at home. Marriage is over. And that is such a big shame.

You have shown that you love kids. Is there a possibility that you might have kids out of wedlock?Of course, there is nothing wrong with having kids out of wedlock. It was before that they will say bastard, now it's normal.

Is that not a shift in value? Is it? It's not a shift in value. It's says in the Bible that God removed a rib from man, Adam, and created his woman. What if your own rib creator has died? Some people die at infancy. Some people die in car accident. Are they not somebody's husband? And some people become monks, priests, that don't marry. If it is in the Bible that each woman is created for a man and some men have died, that means some women's husbands have gone.

So manage your life and be happy. And does that mean such women should not have children? Let's even leave that aside. What if you are unlucky and you keep having relationships over and over and you've not found the right man/ Or it never works out. Would someone tell you that at 45, you shouldn't have a child? If husband no come, pikin no go come? That will be unfair now. That's two blows to deal one person. Some women out there really want to settle down, but they can't find a man. So are you going to tell me that for those women, they shouldn't have children? It's not possible. You will be wicked to say that.

What is the quality of your ideal man? There is no such thing as ideal man. What you get is a man that you can laugh with and then you build from there. Any woman that's looking for Mr. Right will die single, old and wrinkle. There is no perfect man. There is no perfect woman. What you have is a work in progress. Each of us is a work in progress.

You played the role of a sugar mummy in Hoodrush. From the experience of previous write-ups about you, do you prefer younger men, or is it a misconception?
I like men generally (laugh). I know what you're talking about. Let me tell you what happened with Dimeji. He came to interview me from Genevieve Magazine. And at the end of the shoot, he says, can I have a picture with you and I said yes and I held him like this and we took a picture and that was it. He became my lover. I haven't spoken to that boy since that shoot. I'm serious. Is it that every man or woman you hug is a lover? Do you understand? But it's ridiculous, because we can't keep doing this.

Your picture with OC Ukeje in a compromising state has been generating a lot of buzz. What's your take on it?
I think that is Nigerians at their funniest. This is how it is, you put a picture of two people, in what they see as a compromising situation or position in papers, and the next thing is, it has to be that they are dating. Lord, help us! I hope we get past this and behave like educated people someday and let go off all these things. When they tell you something is from a set, that means it's a make-believe, not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment